A TRAIN JOURNEY: A REFLEXION ABOUT SOCIETY

(Desça na página para ler o texto em português) Every weekend I have the same ritual: taking the train to go to my hometown and spend ...

(Desça na página para ler o texto em português)

Every weekend I have the same ritual: taking the train to go to my hometown and spend the weekend with my family. In the last few months I had learnt something: I hate when I have to catch the train at the Oriente train station, even though I can choose where I take it.

Last weekend, I faced some unexpected events.

I bought my train ticket in advance but on my way to Oriente’s train station I lost it. I knew this would have to happen one day and last Saturday it was the day. I looked everywhere for my ticket but I couldn’t find it. It must have felt from my jacket’s pocket when I took my phone out or something. While I was searching like a crazy person for my ticket on my bags, I was interrupted twice by two beggars whose faces were familiar. I recognised this faces from previous Saturdays. This wasn’t the first time they asked me for money. I can’t help saying that these people don’t have the appearance of who truly need to be helped. From a previous lesson I refused to give them any money, and as all the time I claimed that if I had food I would give that (but obviously this isn’t the answer they are looking for).

 I was a little upset about having lost my train ticket, I can’t deny it. I had to buy a new one. Meanwhile I was waiting for the train near to the railway and my thoughts were interrupted by another beggar. I just said no and didn’t even hear what he had to say, they always approach you with the same story that they know by heart and repeat it over and over again, several times a day. I ignored him not because I am insensitive but because I am at my early 20’s and like them I don’t have a job. I am still being raised by my parents and receiving money from them and that money is for me, for buying my food and paying my expenses. And honestly I am not responsible for this people and I believe I don’t owe them anything but life lessons (that they taught me and may have learnt them by the hardest way).  Otherwise, money is not the solution.

Finally, my train arrived. Everybody got into the train and it didn’t last more than five minutes for being asked for my ticket.

For my surprise, later, while I was watching a series’ episode on my IPad, a man with a white golden retriever entered at my train’s car. I looked immediately because I love dogs. As I wasn’t paying attention to what was happening around me, I didn’t realise the man entered at the train asking people for money. He claimed to be unemployed for more than one year; he explained that he was poor and had adopted the dog he was walking. However, he was wearing neat clothes and some golden jewellery and to each person he walked by, he told the “old same old” with an energetic voice.

It seemed that everywhere I went to, I was asked for money. I didn’t give any. At least, I looked at the people’s face in a way of respect and believe me, it was more than what some of the other passengers did.

On the other hand, a young adult (let’s call him John) lost his temper and answered to the beggar. John probably had been approached by the same people as me and probably was as tired of it as I was.  John told to the beggar he wouldn’t give him anything and that he knew what was the finality of the money he was asking for. John was really impolite called the beggar junkie and some other things.

Feeling challenged the man with the dog started to speak at John in a loud tone of voice and an argument had started. I took my earphones to be aware of what was happening because with the screams I could hear the environment seemed scary. A baby that was sit next to me at his mother’s lap started crying. Then I looked back to see what was going on. The man took his dog’s leash and was trying to beat at John. He didn’t do it, was just trying to scare him and threatening him. I believe he had scared John, at least I was totally scared and the lady with the baby was frightened. Immediately she carried her baby and changed sit.

The security lasted to take some action and just showed up when John called it. The security asked the beggar to leave at the next stop, especially because he didn't had a ticket and from what he was saying it looked like it wasn’t the first time that this beggar was disturbing somebody’s train journey. I don’t believe it will be the last.

Before the beggar leave the train John apologized to him and his apologies were accepted.

What a situation! At first place, I don’t agree with John’s attitude. I don’t think he has any right of judging who he doesn’t know (nobody has). He shouldn’t have said anything, he shouldn’t have said what he said, and in the tone he said it. We never know how people will react; we don’t know what is in their minds and how their life is. This time nobody got seriously hurt, but that could have happened. We shouldn’t judge these people because life has punished this people in ways we cannot imagine, we can help, but as I said before: money isn’t the solution.



Todos os fins-de-semana cumpro o mesmo ritual: apanhar o comboio para visitar a cidade onde cresci e moro e passar o fim-de-semana com os meus familiares. Nos últimos meses aprendi algo, aprendi que desgosto ter que apanhar o comboio na estação do Oriente, apesar de ter alternativa.

No fim-de-semana passado, encarei algo inesperado.

Como tinha tempo, comprei o meu bilhete de comboio antecipadamente, mas a caminho da estação de comboios, perdi-o. Sempre soube que um dia isto me iria acontecer, porque guardo sempre tudo nos meus bolsos e como tal, as chances de deixar algo cair são muito elevadas. Desta vez, perdi o bilhete da viagem sem me aperceber.
Já na estação, enquanto procurava como uma louca pelo bilhete, fui interrompida por duas pedintes cujas caras me eram familiares. Reconhecia as caras de fins-de-semana passados. Não era a primeira vez que era interpelada por estas pessoas, nem a primeira vez que me pediam dinheiro. A verdade é que não aparentavam ser pessoas que realmente precisassem daquele dinheiro para se alimentar. Devido a lições anteriormente aprendidas, recusei-me a dar-lhes dinheiro e como sempre, expliquei-lhes que se tivesse comida lhes daria comida em vez do que me pediam. Obviamente esta não era a resposta pretendida.

Ainda que chateada por ter perdido o bilhete, comprei um novo. Entretanto, enquanto esperava pelo comboio junto à linha, os meus pensamentos foram interrompidos. Era outro pedinte! Apenas abanei a cabeça como que dizendo não e nem sequer ouvi o que o senhor tinha para dizer. Somos sempre interpelados com a mesma história, por eles decorada e repetida, vezes e vezes sem conta. Ignorei-o, não por ser insensível, mas sim porque tenho apenas 20 anos e tal como ele, sou desempregada. Ainda estou a ser “criada” pelos meus pais, de quem recebo dinheiro para comprar a minha comida e pagar as minhas despesas enquanto me encontro em Lisboa. Muito honestamente, não sou responsável por estas pessoas e acredito que não lhes devo nada a não ser lições de vida, as quais me ensinaram e devem ter aprendido de uma maneira mais dura do que eu. Ainda assim, dar-lhes dinheiro não é solução.

Finalmente, o meu comboio chegou. Todos os passageiros entraram impacientemente e pouco demorou, para o revisor “picar” os bilhetes.

Mais tarde, para minha surpresa, enquanto via uma série no meu IPad, um homem entra no comboio. Reparei de imediato nele, pois trazia consigo um adorável golden retriever branco. Ao ver a minha série, não estava ciente do que se passava no comboio e não me apercebi que o homem tinha entrado para pedir dinheiro. Afirmava ser pobre e desempregado há mais de um ano e ter adoptado a cadela que trazia consigo. Contudo, usava roupas limpas e alguma joalharia de ouro e por cada pessoa que passava, contava a sua lenga lenga, com uma entoação muito forte e energética.

Naquele sábado, parecia que onde quer que eu fosse, tinham sempre que me pedir dinheiro. Não dei nenhum. Olhei para a cara destas pessoas em sinal de respeito, e acreditem em mim, foi muito mais do que os outros passeiros fizeram.

No entanto, um jovem (vamos chamar-lhe João) perdeu o seu temperamento e respondeu ao pedinte. O João provavelmente tinha sido interpelado, na estação, pelas mesmas pessoas que eu e devia de estar tão cansado quanto eu. O João disse ao pedinte que não lhe daria dinheiro algum e que sabia perfeitamente, que se lho desse, qual seria a sua finalidade. O seu tom foi rude e às suas afirmações juntou insultos como: drogado e muitos outros.

Sentindo-se desafiado, o homem com o cão começou a falar num tom muito alto, iniciando assim uma discussão acesa. Tirei os meus phones, porque com os gritos que se ouviam era impossível estar distraída, naquele ambiente assustador. Ao meu lado, um bebé, sentado no colo da sua mãe, começou a chorar. Olhei para trás para perceber o que se passava, era impossível ignorar a situação. O homem tinha tirado a trela ao cão e tentava com ela bater ao João. Ele não o fez, apenas tentava assustá-lo, enquanto soltava algumas ameaças. Acredito que o tenha conseguido fazer, pelo menos eu estava apavorada. A senhora ao meu lado, aterrorizada de medo, agarrou no seu bebé e nas suas coisas, mudando de lugar, para longe da confusão.

O segurança demorou a actuar, tendo apenas aparecido quando o João o chamou. Foi solicitado ao pedinte que abandonasse o comboio, na próxima paragem, sobretudo porque este não tinha um bilhete e pelo que foi dito, parecia que esta não era a primeira vez que o senhor importunava a viagem de comboio de alguém. Muito sinceramente, também não acredito que seja a última.

Antes de sair do comboio, o João desculpou-se ao pedinte pelo que tinha mencionado e as suas desculpas foram aceites.

Que situação! Em primeiro lugar, desaprovo a atitude do João. Não creio que ele tenha qualquer direito para tirar juízos de valor sobre quem não conhece (até porque ninguém tem). Ele não devia de ter dito nada, não devia de ter dito o que disse, no tom que disse. Nós nunca sabemos como é que as outras pessoas irão reagir; não sabemos o que se passa nas suas vidas e mentes. Desta vez ninguém ficou gravemente ferido, mas podia ter acontecido. Não devemos julgar estas pessoas, porque creio que a vida já seja suficientemente dura com elas. Podemos ajudar, mas tal como disse antes: dinheiro não é a solução.



Photos from Bon Voyage, Vogue Ukrain's Semptember 2013 issue 


Kisses,
Em.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

PLAYING

UA-88256336-1